The Great Northern Highway is the only sealed road
between the Port of Broome and the Port of Wyndham on the National Land Transport Network linking Perth with Darwin in the Northern Territory.
The project replaced the low-level single lane Bow River Bridge on the Great Northern Highway with a new 2 lane high-level bridge. The project also included sealing the two lane road to appropriate standards on an improved road alignment, high-level road embankments, rock guide banks at bridge abutments and a new rest area for heavy vehicles.
Fortec was engaged to supply and install 216 permanent ground anchors to anchor down the abutments & piers on the 250m long 10 span bridge. The following size permanent anchors were installed and load tested:
- 88 x N20 bar anchors x 2.000m deep (L)
- 128 x N20 bar anchors x 3.000m deep (L)
- A track mounted Comacchio MC-4D drill rig was used to install the anchors reducing the footprint needed for the drillrig.
- All anchors passed the proof testing required.
- Project finished ahead of programme.
- Ground Anchoring