The superstructure of Bridge 977 had shifted relative to the bearings. The movement can be explained as being a result of the bridge having skewed skirt beams.
Contract 130/14 for Main Roads WA required Fortec to safely remove the existing bridge bearings at the abutments and piers and replace with new bearings.
Works were carried out on bridge maintaining motor vehicle access on Leach Highway and working on structure within the PTA rail reserve.
The scope included:
- Excavate to top of concrete footings.
- Supply and install RMD propping system.
- Set up our Fortec owned computerised jacking system.
- Hydraulic jack up of bridge using locking ring jacks.
- Hydro demolition below existing bearing to remove grout pads and concrete.
- Remove existing bearings.
- Supply and install new pot and elastomeric bearing.
- Form and pour below new bearing.
- Remove jacks and propping system
- Fortec conducted traffic management throughout the project, including a full road closure and extensive detours of local traffic.
- All works were self-performed by Fortec with only asphalt and seal being performed by sub contract.
- The project was completed ahead of the client schedule.
- Bridge Maintenance
- Bridge Bearings