MRWA decided to replace the existing bridge with a new two-span structure which was constructed at the existing bridge location and launched from the west abutment.
The existing bridge structure, the deck and substructure of Bridge 3528A had deteriorated significantly and whilst the superstructure could be upgraded and the deck replaced; no strengthening and/or maintenance work could extend the design life of the substructure to 100 years.
Fortec was engaged by BMD Constructions to perform the launching works including supply of launching bearings.
The scope included:
- Design of site specific launching services including temporary works.
- Technical advice on bridge launching.
- Supply and design of launching equipment including rocker type launch bearings and sliding pads, launching jacks and pulling cables and nose deflection jacks.
- Supply of on-site launching services including launching technicians and engineering support.
- Jacking system for change out of temporary launch bearings for permanent bearings.
- Design successfully allowed for anticipated nose deflection of 450mm.
- Designed and supplied bespoke rocker type launch bearings to cater for high angular rotation of 0.018 radians.
- Bridge Construction
- Incremental Launching
- Value Engineering