Completed in 1972, this concrete bridge is cable-stayed with a semi-fan system. Located in Perth’s CBD, it functions as a bicycle and pedestrian crossing.
The project works included the installation of a new pre-cast concrete mast, new cable stays, along with LED feature lighting on the mast and deck. The scope of works included:
- Installation of temporary mast and cable stays.
- Transfer of loads from old cable stays to temporary stays and mast.
- Removal of old mast and stays.
- Installation of new precast mast in 3 sections with post tensioning bars connecting the sections and installation of new cable stays.
- Transfer of loads from temporary mast and stays to permanent mast and stays.
- Removal of all temporary works.
- Application of protective and anti-graffiti paint.
- Reinforcement of the balustrade.
- Installation of LED feature lighting.
- First use of MK4 multi strand cable stay system in Australia.
- Works completed safely while working over a live freeway with no full road closures required.
- We changed the temporary cable stay attachment from an external steel cradle to a central connection through the bridge with the advantage of completing all stressing works during the day with no lane closures and saving on public disruption and programme time.
- Bridge Maintenance