Fortec was engaged by Leighton Contractors under Main Roads WA Pilbara Integrated Services Arrangements to replace bridge beams on Bridge No. 5046 on Searipple Road in Karratha.
The project involved the demolition of the existing bridge and installation of a new bridge deck consisting of pre-cast concrete beams on elastomeric bearing pads.
Other works included on deck and approach guardrail installation, insitu concrete end beams, primerseal of deck and approaches, and 40mm asphalt seal of deck and approaches.
The scope included:
- Removal of existing guardrail, posts and footings, bridge beams and end beams.
- Construction of in-situ concrete end beams.
- Placement of 7 pre-cast concrete bridge beams.
- Reinstatement of concrete kerb and up stand to suit precast beams.
- Repairs to undermining of rock protection.
- Reinstatement of road approach to provide smooth transition.
- Reseal of bridge deck.
- Replacement and upgrade to guardrail.
- Fortec conducted traffic management throughout the project, including a full road closure and extensive detours of local traffic.
- All works were self-performed by Fortec with only asphalt and seal being performed by sub contract.
- The project was completed ahead of the client schedule.
- Bridge Construction